Founded in 1965, Telecare is a rapidly growing mental health care company dedicated to making a difference for our clients, the community, and our employees. We offer an array of mental health services to adults with serious mental illness. We partner with public sector entities and behavioral health organizations and have over 130 programs and over 4,000 employees across the country. And we 're growing all the time! When you work at Telecare, you help to empower thousands of individuals every day in their journeys of recovery.
Telecare is proud to have been recognized by The Bay Area Business Times as the 9thBest Place To Work In the Bay Area for 2020! This is the 18th time we have made the list!
This position is based at our corporate headquarters in Alameda, CA. We will consider remote employees in California.
The Director of Disability and Risk Management oversees, manages, administers and coordinates leave of absences, health and safety, worker’s compensation, risk, and loss prevention. This position will also develop, coordinate, and implement occupational health policies and procedures to promote and ensure effective safety operations in the organization.
· Bachelor 's degree in Industrial Relations, Risk Management, Human Resources, or related business field
· Ten (10) years ' experience in the areas of Risk Management, Leave Management and Safety
· Three (3) years’ experience directly supervising staff
· Knowledge of statutory leave of absences
· Knowledge of OSHA requirements and ability to respond to complaints and inspections
· Ability to interpret regulations and laws and disseminate information
· Must be a team player with the ability to quickly prioritize among numerous pressing tasks
· Must have insurance knowledge, and experience in the insurance areas
· Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail and ability to meet deadlines
· Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite or similar software
· Must be willing to travel
· Applicant must be fingerprinted and receive clearance from the Department of Justice
· Must be at least 18 years of age
· Must be CPR, Crisis Prevention Institute (CPI), and First Aid certified on date of employment or within 60 days of employment and maintain current certification throughout employment
· All opportunities at Telecare are contingent upon successful completion and receipt of acceptable results of the applicable post-offer physical examination, 2-step PPD test for tuberculosis, acceptable criminal background clearances, excluded party sanctions, and degree or license verification. If the position requires driving, valid driver license, a motor vehicle clearance and proof of auto insurance is required at time of employment and must be maintained throughout employment. Additional regulatory, contractual or local requirements may apply
· Master 's degree
· Prior work experience with a healthcare organization
· Prior work experience which entails partnering with a leave management company
· Demonstrate the Telecare mission, purpose, values and beliefs in everyday language and contact with the internal and external stakeholders
· Manages and directs the Safety and Worker 's Compensation team
· Coordinate the FMLA leave administration process and the third-party leave administrator to manage the leave process
· Maintains knowledge of all applicable leave and accommodation laws including the FMLA, ADA, and state and local laws
· Drafts and/or recommends revisions to company leave policies to ensure compliance with federal, state, and local laws and regulation
· Work closely with the Director of Human Resources and Regional HR Managers to identify, research and resolve matters related to leave of absences, safety, and worker 's compensation
· Develop and maintain internal risk management programs in accordance with State and Federal laws, including Workers ' Compensation
· Write, revise, and implement policies and procedures that affect liability exposures
· Implement relevant statues and regulations
· Manage or oversee claims handling and litigation of self-insured and insured liability programs
· Analyze losses to identify loss causes, trends, and patterns
· Develop protocols to reduce risk exposure
· Develop, recommend, and implement Workers ' Compensation policies and procedures; Implement a comprehensive return to work program to include transitional-duty and post-injury communication with all parties; recommend and implement goals and objectives of the programs
· Provide oversight of the Workers ' Compensation claim filing process to improve/reduce lag-time reporting to the carrier
· Participate in settlement negotiations; coordinate with carriers, human resources, and outside legal counsel to recommend strategies, as necessary, in all cases of oversight responsibility
· Make recommendations to General Counsel for loss reserve funding requirements, general funding requirements and requirements for necessary limits of coverage
· Report and review claim matters with organization leaders
· Implement, calculate and document cost savings measures
· Produce and manage reporting metrics and analytics for leaves, work related injuries and safety issues
· Implements reporting and loss metrics to identify trends and areas of opportunity
· Oversee the coordination preparation and filing of annual OSHA logs
· Participate in OSHA visits at locations and provide guidance to leaders
· Maintain and manage all of the company 's insurance policies, claim and loss information
· Maintain current awareness of federal and State legislative and regulatory changes in all areas of insurance
· Performs all other duties as assigned or required
Duties and responsibilities may be added, deleted and/or changed at the discretion of management.
· Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite
· Strong supervisory and leadership skills
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills
· Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
· Conflict resolution skills
The physical demands here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
The employee is occasionally required to walk, stand, bend, squat, kneel, twist, reach, lift and carry items weighing 10 pounds or less, lift and carry items overhead up to 10 pounds, and do simple grasping occasionally, drive as well as frequently sit.
EOE AA M/F/V/Disability
Equal Opportunity Employer Description
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
Pay Transparency Policy Statement
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.