Founded in 1965, Telecare is a rapidly growing mental health care company dedicated to making a difference for our clients, the community, and our employees. We offer an array of mental health services to adults with serious mental illness. We partner with public sector entities and behavioral health organizations and have over 130 programs and over 4,000 employees across the country. And we 're growing all the time! When you work at Telecare, you help to empower thousands of individuals every day in their journeys of recovery.
Telecare is proud to have been recognized by The Bay Area Business Times as the 9thBest Place To Work In the Bay Area for 2020! This is the 18th time we have made the list!
As part of the Telecare Family,Willow Rock is a 16-bed Psychiatric Health Facility in Alameda County for adolescents 12-17 years old who are experiencing acute psychiatric symptoms.
Shift:Varies as needed
Days:Varies as needed
The Adolescent Counselor is a treatment team member who is responsible for providing care to meet the physical and psychological needs of members served through providing direct and indirect services in a manner consistent with Rehabilitation and Recovery principles.
• A BA or BS degree and two (2) years of experience with psychiatric patients, preferably adolescents, in a mental health setting, or an Associate’s Degree and three (3) years of experience, or six (6) years of experience working directly with individuals in a mental health setting, is required
• Individuals may also qualify for these positions if they have equivalent experience working in a setting providing direct care to adolescents with behavioral issues or learning issues or in an educational/group home setting
• Must have belief in individual’s ability to recover from disabling mental illness
• Knowledge of basic psychiatric rehabilitation interventions
• Good communication skills and a desire to work with persons with mental illness
• Incumbents must be at least eighteen (18) years of age and be proficient in reading, speaking and writing English
• Negative TB screen is required
• Must be at least 18 years of age
• Must be CPR, Crisis Prevention Institute (CPI), and First Aid certified on date of employment or within 60 days of employment and maintain current certification throughout employment
• All opportunities at Telecare are contingent upon successful completion and receipt of acceptable results of the applicable post-offer physical examination, 2-step PPD test for tuberculosis, acceptable criminal background clearances, excluded party sanctions, and degree or license verification. If the position requires driving, valid driver’s license, a motor vehicle clearance, and proof of auto insurance is required at time of employment and must be maintained throughout employment. Additional regulatory, contractual, or local requirements may apply.
• Experience with psychiatric adolescent clients/patients
• Demonstrates the Telecare mission, purpose, values and beliefs in everyday language and contact with internal and external stakeholders
• Completes the following assessment activities:
o Reviews admission documentation
o Assists in members served reviews and assessment of members served care plans
o Demonstrates the ability to recognize changes in members served milieu and make modifications in care giving methods
• Provides safe, effective and efficient implementation of direct care in accordance with established policies, procedures and standards of care, including CPI and psychiatric rehabilitation principles
• Establishes, maintains, and co-facilitates a therapeutic relationship with members served. Acts as a role model in maintaining a hopeful and positive attitude in problem solving and coping with the disabilities associated with mental illness
• Attends and participates in community meetings and groups
• Actively participates in multidisciplinary team meetings and treatment planning meetings
• Documents activities of daily living, response to interventions, and significant behavior changes as appropriate. Informs the Clinical Director of members served behavior and condition, particularly changes in mental and/or physical condition
• Admits and discharges members s assigned; this includes completing associated documentation
• Contributes to the treatment of the whole person inclusive of physical care. Obtains vital signs and weights, as assigned
• Ensures members served safety via monitoring including but not limited to rounds as well as safe and appropriate seclusion and restraint supervision
• Demonstrates commitment to teamwork via questions and cooperation
• Practices body substance precautions at all times
• Provides supervision and support during meals. May be required to assist in meal set up.
• Demonstrates knowledge of CPI principles and techniques
• Participates in and assists members served during group outings
• Promotes and assists members served in developing self help skills
• Explains policies and procedures to members served and their families
• Demonstrates a good rapport and cooperative working relationships with all members of the team; responds to co workers with concern and promotes group morale
• Maintains an effective and courteous working relationship with members served and other staff members through the use of appropriate interpersonal skills
• Protects the confidentiality of employee and members served information
• Protects members served from behavior that could damage themselves or others
• Demonstrates knowledge of nursing policies and procedures as they relate to direct and indirect members served care
• Must assist with restraint of members served in the event of assaultive behavior and pass assault crisis/crisis prevention training
Duties and responsibilities may be added, deleted and/or changed at the discretion of management.
The physical demands here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
The employee is occasionally required to stand, twist, squat, kneel and lift and carry items weighing 25 pounds or less as well as to frequently sit, walk, reach, bend and do simple and firm grasping. The position requires manual deviation, repetition and dexterity.
EOE AA M/F/V/Disability
Equal Opportunity Employer Description
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
Pay Transparency Policy Statement
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.